Monday 25 June 2012

C25K update

For any of you that know already or are reading my blog I am attempting to do the Couch to 5k program.  It helps train you and build up your endurance so that you can run 5k. This is both in an attempt to just get a bit fitter and to loose more weight in my ongoing goal to see the pandas at Edinburgh zoo - see last week's post to see what that's all about! 

Anyway last week was Week 1 of C25K (a 9 week program, uh *cough* we will see about that!). It actually went surprisingly well - week 1 involves 5 minute brisk warm up walk followed by 20 minutes of 60 seconds running, 90 seconds walking on repeat. finished off with a 5 minute cool down.

Yes I was super out of breath and had to stop walking a couple times to catch my breath and recover from stitches but by my third run I managed the entire half hour without stopping! I was so proud! I know I sound really unfit and I totally am, so for me to do that, was a great achievement! To be honest when I first started I seriously didn't think I could run for 60 seconds. My calves and feet have been aching so much! Oh joy!

Anyway, today was the beginning of Week 2! All I can say is OH MY GOODNESS!!! That was rough!! 
Week 2 is 5 minutes brisk warm up walk followed by 20 minutes of 90 seconds and 2 minutes walking on repeat, finished off with a 5 minute cool down. Wow who would have thought that 30 seconds more running would be SO challenging! Anyhow, I shall soldier on and hopefully by the end of the week it will become easier just like week 1 did! 

I'm going to try and blog about C25K each week but hopefully shorter length so you can all check up on how I'm doing, if you're interested! 

Hugs,

Amanda xo

7 comments:

  1. Awesome!! This is not the easiest program to do, but it is great at gradually increasing your endurance and there is such a sense of accomplishment as you finish each week. Be proud of your work! Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I;m starting to understand why people enjoy running - something I NEVER thought I would say. If you asked me even a month ago if I'd go for a run I would have said no way EVER!!! xx

      Delete
  2. Well done on completing week 1! I intend to start this - I just need to work out the best time of morning to do it as I don't want everyone watching me. I know it's silly, but I feel very self-conscious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria! Oh you should, you feel exhausted but I'm just feeling really good and happier - its a good feeling. I totally get what you mean about being self-conscious and not wanting to be seen. For that reason I actually go around 10:30/11pm because its dark and I know there won't be so many people around. Also its cooler so you don't get quite so hot! Yay! If you do do this please let me know how you get on! We should start some sort of SU C25K group! :P xx

      Delete
  3. Go Amanda!! I do feel for you as I started on this program at the beginning of the year and gee my body felt it! I haven't gotten through the whole program but I am still amazed that I can and want to jog these days. I am taking things at my own pace but I have lost 10kgs so far... just another 10kgs to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! Glad to see there's others out there taking it at their own pace - totally what I intend to do! So I'm not sure I will complete it in the 9 weeks, but I'm doing a lot better than I thought I would! I went out last night after playing an hour of badminton. Oh my goodness I actually felt like my legs were going to drop off!
      Wow go you that's great!! Do you have an incentive you're working for? I've lost very nearly 2 stone since the beginning of the year, just another 4 to go!! Yay! xx

      Delete
    2. Way to go! Gettin' out for your jog after badminton! I don't have an incentive as such just want to reach a healthy weight range and look fabulous! My reward at the end will be a sparkly ring.

      Delete